Monday, November 10, 2014

The Car Ride Home: It All Happened

    I never realized how important and special it was that my mom picked me up from school everyday, until today when I was driving Auburn's campus.  It was the ride home Mom taught me I could cry in-front of her if I was having a bad day and I could tell her anything that was on my heart. It was on the ride home we would stop for a "treat" and I learned sometimes its okay to treat yourself after a long day, just in moderation. It was on the ride home that I learned it didn't matter where I disrespected her or my dad, because she would not allow it to happen. She could whip that arm around the backseat and spank me just as easily, but I learned to respect them both. It was in the car ride from school that she took me to piano, tumbling, soccer, basketball, volleyball, band, gymnastics, and church. I did not understand it was not just for fun, but to mold me into the person I am today. It was the car ride home that she taught us the street names and how to get places, preparing me to drive one day in hope I would not get lost. It was the car ride home she taught me what happened on 9/11 and how not everyone in the world is good, but we must be good to them even if it's hard. It was the car ride home I always saw her look back at me in the rearview mirror. Although she was looking back at my reflection in the mirror, she saw more than me. Mom was looking forward into my future... and I never knew until now that it was in the car ride home, all of it happened.


No comments:

Post a Comment